Holiday Season Safety Tips

 Christmas Trees

Many artificial trees are fire resistant. If you buy one, look for a statement specifying this protection.

A fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree. To check for freshness,


  1. A fresh tree is green.
  2. Fresh needles are hard to pull from
  3. When bent between your fingers, fresh
    needles do not break.
  4. The trunk butt of a fresh tree is sticky with resin.
  5. When the trunk of a tree is bounced on the ground, a shower of falling needles shows
    that tree is too dry.

Place tree away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources. Heated rooms dry trees out rapidly, creating fire hazards.

Cut off about two inches of the trunk to expose fresh wood for better water absorption. Trim away branches as necessary to set tree trunk in the base of a sturdy, water-holding stand with wide spread feet. Keep the stand filled with water while the tree is indoors.

Place the tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doorways. Use thin guy-wires to secure a large tree to walls or ceiling. These wires are almost invisible.


Christmas Lights

Indoors or outside, use only lights that have been tested for safety. Identify these by the label from an independent testing laboratory.

Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections. Discard damaged sets or repair them before using.

Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage.

Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.

Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Lights
could short and start a fire.

Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.

The tree can become charged with electricity from faulty lights, and any person touching a branch could be electrocuted! To avoid this danger, use colored spotlights above or beside a tree, never fastened onto it!

Keep “bubbling” lights away from children. These lights with their bright colors and bubbling movement can tempt curious children to break candle-shaped glass, which can cut, and attempt to drink liquid, which contains a hazardous chemical.


Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens.

Always use non-flammable holders.

Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper.

Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.

 General Rules for Holiday Safety

  1. Keep matches, lighters, and candles out of the reach of children.
  2. Avoid smoking near flammable decorations.
  3. Make an emergency plan to use if a fire breaks out anywhere in the home. See that each family member knows what to do. PRACTICE THE PLAN!
  4. Avoid wearing loose flowing clothes particularly long, open sleeves near open flames such as those of a fireplace, stove, or candlelit table.
  5. Never burn candles near evergreens. Burning evergreens in the fireplace can also be hazardous. When dry, greens burn like tinder. Flames can flare out of control, and send sparks flying into a room, or up the chimney to ignite creosote deposits.
  6. Plan for safety. Remember, there is no substitute for common sense. Look for and eliminate potential danger spots near candles, fireplaces, trees, and/or electrical connections.

 Happy Holidays

Westhill Construction Company wants to wish all of you a very happy and safe holiday season. If you have any questions regarding the safety of your home and need help repairing any issue please call us at 408-395-4361